Posted January 27, 2017
Bay Area Wilderness Training (BAWT) is a project of the Earth Island Institute and an environmental justice organization which seeks to create opportunities for youth from around the Bay Area to experience wilderness first hand. We believe that youth, once exposed to nature, have a broadened sense of themselves, each other, and the world around them.
The Program Associate position is fast paced and customer service oriented. BAWT plays a key role in providing access to the outdoors for over 8,400 youth each year. BAWT plays a key role in providing access to the outdoors for over 8,400 youth each year. Over 85% of youth gaining access to the outdoors through BAWT supported trips are youth of color and 74% are low-income. BAWT seeks to build a strong and talented team with the skills and experience to serve the diverse needs of our clients and communities. BAWT is an equal opportunity employer and women, people of color, people raised poor, and members of the LGBTQ community are encouraged to apply. All applicants will be evaluated on the basis of their unique skills and attributes.
Program Associate will report to BAWT’s Gear Library and Operations Manager and will co-lead operations of the Oakland and Milpitas gear libraries and support ongoing operations of the San Francisco gear libary. The highest level of independence is expected. Initiative and a proactive approach are a must. The top priority responsibilities associated with this position are as follows: gear inventory control and maintenance, trip report tracking, client support, client recruitment and relationship management, volunteer outreach and support, and efficient operations overall.
Employment Status: Part-time 18 hours per week
Desired Start Date: February- early March (flexible)
Apply ASAP. Position open until filled.
Work Locations: Oakland (BAWT office), Milpitas (South Bay), and possibly San Francisco (Excelsior District)
Weekly work schedule:
Three days per week: EITHER Monday to Wednesday or Wednesday to Friday:
Wednesday alternate 10a-5p and 2-9pm
Wednesday alternate 10a-5pm and 2-9pm
Applicant should determine if he or she is able to work one of these schedules before applying.
The work schedule is subject to change at the determination of the Program Director.
• Demonstrated ability to work and build relationships in a multicultural environment
• Have a valid driver’s license, clean driving record (A copy of your record from the DMV is required if offered an interview)
• Ability to report to any of BAWT’s three gear libraries – Oakland, Milpitas, and occasionally San Francisco
• Ready, willing, and able to drive a vehicle to conduct work duties
• Ability to perform work while standing or walking
• Ability to squat and kneel
• Ability to frequently lift, carry, and position objects weighing up to 50 pounds
• Must be able to work up to one evening per week and one weekend per month
• Ability to read and adapt to different social situations
• Attention to detail, organized and takes pride in creating organized, efficient, and clean work spaces
• Self-directed and motivated to initiate work for yourself, interns, and volunteers
• Outgoing and enjoys building a community of volunteers and interns to support your work
• Proven ability to communicate effectively in-person, over the phone, and in email
• Enjoys outdoor recreation and has experience with hiking, backpacking or camping
• Highly motivated by the BAWT mission to get urban youth outdoors
• Interest to learn and teach new skills especially related to gear repair and maintenance
• Experience with inventory management
• Experience working effectively with high school age youth (for interns)
• Customer service experience
• Experience using Google products (Gmail, Calendars, Docs) and Microsoft (Word and Excel)
• Management, inventory, and repair of all outdoor equipment in the Oakland and Milpitas gear libraries and support similar work in San Francisco
• Processing all equipment reservations for Oakland and Milpitas Gear Libraries and supporting similar work in San Francisco
• Processing equipment donations
• Maintaining an organized and orderly Gear Library in Oakland and Milpitas and supporting similar work in San Francisco
• Work with interns and volunteers
• Coordinate weekly gear library volunteer program
• Ability to mentor youth interns to support gear library operations
• Ability to report directly to the Oakland office and the Milpitas office as determined by the Program Director
• Implement new systems to improve gear library inventory control and gear maintenance
• Use a vehicle to transport gear and supplies between work and other locations
• Use a vehicle to perform general errands to support the overall organization at the request of a supervisor
• Support all BAWT clients (teachers and youth workers) by helping them connect to future trainings and trip planning resources
• Monitor client trip reporting information in the BAWT’s database and some minor data entry
• Assist with ordering gear for all of BAWT’s libraries
• Monitor invoicing for lost and damaged gear
• Assist with outreach at events
• Assist with communal office administration tasks: answering the phone, welcoming visitors, etc.
• Assist the Program Director and Gear Library Manager with the logistics and gear for all workshops and courses, including but not limited to using a vehicle to pick up or drop off supplies necessary for the courses
• Lead Gear Orientations workshops
• Other duties as assigned
Compensation and Benefits:
$13-$15 per hour. Compensation is commensurate with work experience, skills and educational background. This position is not eligible for health benefits. The position is eligible for pro-rated paid holiday and sick pay, office holidays, and the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Professional development, free outdoor leadership training, wilderness medicine training, access to free outdoor equipment for personal use with friends and family, new and used gear, access to pro-deals with over 400 outdoor companies, work in a high energy fun environment
How to apply
To apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (with a max 1-sentence description of your relationship to each) to:
Jobs[at]bawt.org with a subject line of “Program Associate Position- Attn: Gear Library and Operations Manager”
If contacted for an interview be prepared to show proof of a valid California driver’s license and clean driving record.
In addition, any offer of employment, and employment is contingent on the results of a fingerprint screening with the Department of Justice and FBI (Live Scan or similar).