Bay Area Wilderness Training (BAWT) prefers candidates who can make a six to eight month internship commitment because we find that both the intern and the organization gain the most from an extended working relationship. Semester-only internships for more than 20 hours/week are possible for excellent candidates, but not preferred. All dates are somewhat flexible based on the schedules of interns.
• Database experience
• Microsoft Word & Excel (PC Based)
• Ability to organize multiple projects
• Ability to work independently
• Confident public speaking
• Mountaineering, climbing or extensive backpacking a plus
As much as possible, a specific project will be assigned to the intern, but exact tasks will depend upon the needs of the organization and the skills/interests of the intern. Projects may include any of the following:
• Support BAWT’s Climbing for Kids (www.climbingforkids.org) fundraising events with database data entry, advance planning and on-site logistics
• Phone, email and mail solicitation of potential climbers and support to registered climbers
• Create, support, plan and execute new small scale fund and awareness raising events, especially Information Sessions, post-climb parties and climber appreciation events. Eventually, lead Information Sessions (run Powerpoint presentations) to recruit climbers
• Ensure timely and continued contact with climbers before and after each event
• Participate in weekend/evening outreach events where applicable such as tabling at events like the Banff Mountain Film Festival, and Bay Area outdoor stores
• Database management and donor acknowledgment
• Manage inventory of gear, set up ordering timelines, and ship gear to non-local climbers
To apply: Send a cover letter and resume addressed to Scott Wolland at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the cover letter please tell us your favorite outdoor activity and why in a paragraph or less.
BAWT is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender, sexual orientation. People of color strongly encouraged to apply.
Please note: All dates are somewhat flexible based on the schedules of interns selected and internship extensions are possible. BAWT prefers six-month internship commitments, because we find that both the organization and interns gain the most from an extended working relationship.