Through the generosity our supporters, BAWT offers Richard Louv Minigrants annually in the amount of $250 each. These funds help youth organizations and schools to cover the cost of venturing into the outdoors with the youth that they serve. We call this the Richard Louv Minigrant program to honor our good friend, author Richard Louv.
About Richard Louv
Richard Louv is an author and journalist focused on nature, family and community. His bestselling book, Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder, has stimulated an international conversation about the future relationship between children and nature, and has helped spawn a movement that is now moving into the international sphere.
Graduates of BAWT’s Wilderness Leadership Training (WLT), Frontcountry Leadership Training (FLT), Camping at the Presidio Leadership Training (CAPLT), or Gear Orientation may apply.
Minigrants are reimbursements for actual expenditures only. Reimbursements are provided for food, transportation, permits and reservations, and other standard trip costs.
Grant applications will be reviewed and approved by the BAWT Program Committee. In reviewing grant applications, the Program Committee generally considers the following factors:
- Whether the applicant is a first-time leader – first-time leaders, or first-time leaders of a new type of trip, are generally preferred
- Whether the applicant’s organization serves youth that lack opportunities to explore the natural world
- Financial resources available to the trip leader and their organization
- Number of youth served
- Type of trip – overnight experiences are strongly preferred
- Goal of the trip and how it fits with the organization’s mission
- The applicant’s and organization’s minigrant history – BAWT intends to support the widest audience possible
Only one grant per applicant will be awarded per year. Applicants who are not selected to receive a minigrant may reapply once per calendar year.
Apply for a Richard Louv Minigrant
Applications are reviewed on a quarterly basis:
|Date Application Received||Application Reviewed||Notification|
|September 10, 2014 –December 9, 2014||December 10, 2014||Late December 2014. Note: Funds awarded for 2015 trips|
|December 10, 2014 –March 10, 2015||March 11, 2015||Late March 2015|
|March 11, 2015 –June 9, 2015||June 10, 2015||Late June 2015|
|June 10, 2015 –September 8, 2015||September 9, 2015||Late September 2015. Note: Funds awarded for 2016 trips|
|September 9, 2015 –December 8, 2015||December 9, 2015||Late December 2015. Note: Funds awarded for 2016 trips|
Please plan ahead to ensure that your application can be reviewed prior to your trip date (though we will consider applications for trips that have already occurred). This schedule is subject to change depending on demand and funding availability.
WITHIN TWO WEEKS following the trip date, successful applicants must submit:
- 5 photos of youth from the trip with signed photo releases (Sample Photo)
- Submit a video clip for the Because of BAWT campaign (see website for more details)
- Receipts (Originals only. No credit card or bank statements)
- An online trip report
- A one page, reflective narrative describing their successes, challenges, and key learning moments
For trips that occur prior to the award notification, these documents must be submitted within two weeks following the notification. Failure to submit both receipts and the narrative will result in automatic forfeiture of the award.
Questions about the minigrant program can be directed to Program Director Aaron Gilbert, firstname.lastname@example.org.