Bay Area Wilderness Training’s mission is to provide equitable access to outdoor experiences for youth of color and low-income youth. Our mission is guided by our values of environmental stewardship, community empowerment, and social justice. In alignment with our value of social justice we believe that people visiting the outdoors should be represented by the full diversity of races, genders, income levels and other identities that exist in the San Francisco Bay Area. The Summit Scholarship program is designed to help us reach this goal. BAWT may provide 50% scholarships to qualified applicants on a first-come-first-served basis for up to 33% of all available spaces on WLT, FLT, HLT, and Snowshoeing courses. We strive to keep our course registration fees low and we never want a lack of financial resources to become a barrier for eager youth workers or teachers who want to bring outdoor experiences to their communities. With this scholarship program, we hope to increase access to our programs for teachers and youth workers from under-represented and marginalized communities.
- All applicants must be a teachers or youth workers serving youth from one or more of the following Bay Area counties (San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Alameda, Contra Costa, Solano, Napa, Marin, Sonoma)
- Recipients of the scholarship will meet at least two of the following criteria
- Serve a population of youth which is 90% or more youth of color
- Serve a population of youth in which 60% or more qualify for free or reduced lunch
- The youth worker or teacher speaks English as a Second Language
- The youth worker or teacher earns $40,000 or less per year
- The youth worker or teacher is a person of color
- The youth worker or teacher member of a marginalized group other than being a person of color. This could be but is not limited to LGBTQ, person with limited mobility, Native American or indigenous, recent immigrant, refugee, homeless, foster youth, and formerly incarcerated.
- Additionally, consideration may be given to applicants based on their stated reason why their receiving of this scholarship will increase equity, inclusion, and access in the outdoors.
How to Apply for the Scholarship
Apply for the scholarship by completing the online application. Scholarships will be awarded for the course until all scholarships have been awarded for that course, the course is full, or up until the registration deadline for that course, whichever occurs first. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. In addition to applying for the scholarship, the applicant must also register for the preferred course and date via the specific online course registration form. Registering for the course is separate from applying for the scholarship. During the course registration process the scholarship applicant must select the “scholarship applicant” registration type to avoid paying a registration fee.
How to Register for a Course
At approximately the same time that an applicant completes the scholarship application, the applicant must register online for the specific course. Make sure to select the “scholarship applicant” registration type to avoid paying a fee. If a scholarship applicant fails to register for the course, BAWT staff cannot guarantee that a space will be available on the course once the scholarship is awarded. The course registration and scholarship application processes are separate. To avoid delays and increase your chances of being awarded a scholarship, register for your preferred course and apply for a scholarship on the same day.
Award Notification and Payment for a Course
After completing both the scholarship application and registering for the course, the applicant should expect to receive notification from BAWT staff within two weeks if they have been awarded the scholarship. In that notification, there will be more specific information about the level of scholarship awarded and what next steps the applicant needs to take to complete payment for the course. In most cases, payment will be requested online via credit card. It is possible to pay by personal or company check as well. Applicants must pay the remaining amount to complete the registration process and be enrolled into the course.