Bay Area Wilderness Training Development Associate
Bay Area Wilderness Training (BAWT) is an environmental justice organization which seeks to create opportunities for youth from around the Bay Area to experience wilderness first hand. We believe that youth, once exposed to nature, have a broadened sense of themselves, each other, and the world around them.
Since 1999 BAWT has helped get over 70,000 youth outside for life changing experiences. Over 84% of youth gaining access to the outdoors through BAWT supported trips are youth of color and 74% are low-income. BAWT seeks to build a strong and talented team with the skills and experience to serve the diverse needs of our clients and communities.
The Development Associate position is a detail and deadline driven position. The right person will be passionate about outdoor access, is a highly effective and comfortable communicator, enjoys the flexibility and variety of working on a small development team, and is looking for growth and advancement in the fundraising field. BAWT’s annual budget is $900,000.
BAWT is a project of Earth Island Institute (EII) and this position will be an employee of EII. Earth Island Institute provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. All applicants will be evaluated on the basis of their unique skills and attributes.
The Development Associate reports to the BAWT Director of Development (D.D.) to support fundraising, marketing, and communication. The highest level of independence is expected. Initiative and a proactive approach are a must.
Employment Status: Full-Time- 40 hours per week. Non-exempt
Desired Start Date: Mid-February, 2019
Work Location: 1050 East 8th Street, Oakland, CA
Weekly work schedule: Monday to Friday (5-days), 8 hours per day. Occasional weekend and evenings also required as part of paid weekly hours worked.
· Manage weekly donor acknowledgement process
· Manage appeal letter and online appeal process
· Support Director of Developement with annual event planning
· Support Director of Development with implementing new database development functions
· Enter data and run reports on CRM/ database to support fundraising efforts
· Support Director of Development with communication including email marketing, social media, and other
· Participate in Board Development Committee
· Perform research, writing, and editing of key foundation/corporate proposals
· Support D.D. with administration of fundraising tasks
· Provide customer service support for adventure fundraising volunteers
· Attend outreach events
· Support volunteers and interns in development related tasks
· Duties as assigned
· At least one-year of fundraising/development team experience
· Well organized, with a strong attention to detail
· Excellence in writing and editing
· Proven ability to communicate effectively in-person, over the phone, and by email
· Analytical and research oriented
· College Degree
· Proficiency in MS Word and Excel
· Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
· Experience using Google products (Gmail, Calendars, Docs)
· Ability to use computer for extended periods
· Experience working in the non-profit sector
· Experience with event planning
· Experience using a Database or CRM
· Experience using email for marketing campaigns
· Working knowledge of WordPress or similar website building platform.
· Social media marketing experience
· Customer service experience
· Experience with mail merge and large scale mailings
· Passion for outdoors and youth development
· Experience working with budgets
Compensation: Non- exempt status- $19.23/hr. ($40,000 per year). The position is eligible for 100% employer paid health benefits (Health insurance, dental, vision, life, LTD) vacation pay, sick pay, office holidays, including a paid holiday week between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Other Benefits: Professional development, free outdoor leadership training, wilderness medicine training, access to free outdoor equipment for personal use with friends and family, access to pro-deals with over 400 outdoor companies, work in a high energy fun environment.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to: Jobs[at]bawt.org, Subject Heading “Attn: Development Associate” or by mail to BAWT, Attn: Development Associate Application, 1050 East 8th St., Oakland, CA 94606. Position is open until filled and applicants are encouraged to apply by the end of January.