All internships are 500 hours. Six-month internship commitments (20hrs/wk) are preferred; however, we can accommodate three-month internships (30-40 hrs/wk). All dates are flexible based on the schedules of interns selected and internship extensions are possible. All interns report to a specific manager based on their specific internship. There are several different internships: Program, Marketing and Social Media, Climbing for Kids, Development, and Administration with Accounting/Finance.
Earth Island Institute is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender, sexual orientation. People of color, LGBTQ identified people, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Professional attitude, strong work ethic, timeliness, and proactive communication
- Flexibility and willingness to learn new tasks
- Takes initiative and can work independently
- Have fun and have a sense of humor
- Attention to detail, organized and takes pride in creating organized, efficient, and clean work spaces
- Self-directed and motivated to initiate work for yourself, interns, and volunteers
- Outgoing and enjoys building a community of volunteers and interns to support your work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (email, telephone and in-person)
- Interest to learn and teach new skills especially related to gear repair and maintenance
- Likes to have fun and create a fun work environment
- Enjoys outdoor recreation and has experience with backpacking and camping
- Desire to work with a diverse community of staff, volunteers, and clients
- Highly motivated by the BAWT mission to get urban youth outdoors
Program Internship: We are looking for “gear heads” and community oriented people. If you love playing with outdoor gear, this is the position for you. If you want to outreach and support your community to get outdoors, this is the position for you. The Program Intern regularly assists with gear reservations (BAWT’s main support for youth workers). The intern gets to work closely with the Program Associate and Program Director in supporting the gear library and training courses. Special projects focus on organizing gear, database management, equipment repair, gear workshops, weekly volunteer nights, and outreach.
- Provide registration support, preparation and organization for BAWT’s Leadership Training Courses
- Stage gear requests, manage inventory and catalog BAWT’s gear resource libraries
- Work with volunteers, support outreach and marketing, work within a dynamic and fast-paced work environment
- Opportunity to meet & connect with youth workers from other organizations
- Expand your knowledge of outdoor gear and how to repair it
Send cover letter, resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org with specific internship of interest in subject bar.