Bay Area Wilderness Training’s (BAWT) is an Oakland based non-profit who works to get youth outdoors by training teachers and youth workers. The marketing intern works directly under the supervision of the Executive Director and is the liason to the volunteer marketing committee. BAWT prefers candidates who can make a six to eight month internship commitment because we find that both the intern and the organization gain the most from an extended working relationship. Semester-only internships for more than 20 hours/week are possible for excellent candidates, but not preferred. All dates are somewhat flexible based on the schedules of interns selected and internship extensions are possible.
Begin as soon as possible, and complete the internship once a mutual decision has been made to begin working together.
• Arrive on time when expected.
• Call if you can’t come in and arrange a time to make up the hours missed.
• Be flexible.
• Be willing to learn new tasks.
• Initiate work, when you see a need.
• Have fun and have a sense of humor.
• Microsoft Word & Excel
• Experience with Social Media- facebook, twitter, etc.
• Comfort in PC environment preferred
• A passion for the outdoors = enthusiasm for the cause
• Database experience
• Strong writing skills
• HTML coding
• Ability to organize multiple projects
• Self-direction and ability to work independently
• Confident public speaking
The Marketing Intern will work with the CEO, Program Manager, BAWT volunteers and Marketing committees on a variety of activities.
As much as possible, a specific project will be assigned to the intern, but exact tasks will depend upon the needs of the organization and the skills/interests of the intern. Projects may include any of the following:
• Help maintain BAWT’s social media presence, on fb, YouTube, etc.
• Help deliver an online newsletter every other month
• Manage volunteers, organizing BAWT’s marketing committees, and managing tasks assigned to BAWT volunteers. Marketing committee meetings occur once/month in evenings.
• Help to create/support new small scale awareness raising events.
• Insure that BAWT course catalogs and brochures are designed and distributed by mail and through the Street Team.
• Phone, email and mail engagement of volunteers (especially the Street Team), local businesses (to get BAWT literature displayed there), etc.
• Participate in weekend outreach events where applicable such as tabling at Bay Area outdoor stores (REI, Patagonia).
• Think and act creatively to engage the public in BAWT’s work and get the word out about BAWT’s programs and courses.
Compensation & Benefits
• There is NOT monetary compensation for this internship. There is….
• Tuition Free Courses during period of internship. (Wilderness First Aid, Snowshoeing, etc.)
• Free outdoor equipment rental.
• Experience with a dynamic, growing non-profit.
Exact intern tasks depend upon BAWT’s needs, priorities and work plan for the months during the internship assignment.
To apply: Send a cover letter and resume addressed to Scott Wolland at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the cover letter please tell us your favorite outdoor activity and why in a paragraph or less.
BAWT is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender, sexual orientation. People of color strongly encouraged to apply.
Please note: All dates are somewhat flexible based on the schedules of interns selected and internship extensions are possible. BAWT prefers six-month internship commitments, because we find that both the organization and interns gain the most from an extended working relationship.