The CAP Orientation training is an opportunity for alumni of Bay Area Wilderness Training’s Frontcountry Leadership Training and Wilderness Leadership Training courses to participate in the Camping at the Presidio program without completing an overnight CAPLT course. During this training participants will receive a tour of the campground facilities and an introduction to the education, interpretive, and restoration programs offered by the Crissy Field Center, National Parks Service, and the Presidio Trust. Furthermore, the one-day training will review camping safety, day-hiking, tent and stove-set up, clothing requirements, teambuilding activities, and gets you familiarized with the reservation process. By completing the CAP Orientation training, participants get access to:
- Camping Gear (on-site)
- Sleeping Bags
- Sleeping Pads
- Camping Stoves
- Kitchen Equipment
- Guided Park Programs
- Resource Kits
- Pre-trip orientations
- Affordable round trip transportation
- Volunteer support
- Date: Saturday, October 5, 2019
Location: Rob Hill Campground, Presidio, San Francisco
$25.00 per person
The cost covers all course materials, camping and food.
Eligibility – Who Can Participate?
You must meet all three eligibility requirements to participate.
- Alumni of either the Wilderness Leadership Training or Frontcountry Leadership Training
- Affiliated with a public school or community-based nonprofit organization
- Serve a community of youth that faces barriers to getting outdoors (must meet one of these criteria)
- 50% or more of the youth served by your school or organization qualify for free or reduced lunch programs
- Youth with special emotional, physical, or development needs
- Youth experiencing economic, cultural, or other barriers that have typically prevented them from visiting their National Parks
About the Program
A partnership of the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy, National Park Service, The Presidio Trust, and Bay Area Wilderness Training, the Camping at the Presidio (CAP) Program offers users a full-service, frontcountry camping experience in the heart of San Francisco. The only camping facility in San Francisco, Rob Hill is a fantastic venue for outdoor learning and fun, bringing the classic experience of a national park to the city’s doorstep.
We provide children and youth who traditionally have not visited national parks with meaningful overnight camping experiences. Designed for community organizations and schools, the Camping at the Presidio (CAP) program provides a dynamic and affordable way to enrich the lives of young people. Since 2007, CAP has met the need for thousands of Bay Area youth to get access to overnight camping in the Presidio, while providing a gateway experience to explore the Golden Gate National Parks and public lands far beyond our urban center.
Camping at the Presidio is a collaboration of BAWT and these organizations: